12 Night land expedition showcasing the astounding diversity of Sri Lanka infusing into you history, beliefs and cultural experiences with the option of two additional nights of cruising on the scenic Kerala backwaters in India.
Tour Cost: On Request
Single Supplement: On Request
Program Overview: Sri Lanka may be a tiny country with a land area of under 70,000 square kilometers. However, every inch of it is dotted with interesting and exciting things to see and do. From the differences in regional cuisines to its varying landscapes from the central hills, picturesque forests and parks to the sandy shores, The Emerald Island encapsulates everything one could ask for in an exotic tropical paradise. The stunning natural scenery is further supplemented with exemplary South Asian architecture and eye-catching tea plantations along with a rich dose of history, local beliefs, values and culture.
Starting in modern day capital city, Colombo; this 13-day land journey immerses you into a whole different world showcasing the very best of Sri Lanka, including places covered by the much famed Cultural Triangle. Head for the rolling hills to escape the heat of the plains and relax in the cool setting of tea plantations. The island teems with bird life and exotic species of elephants and leopards are not uncommon. Marvel at magnificent temples, discover the fascinating caves like the ones at Dambulla and explore the ruins of Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa. Get acquainted with Kandy and prepare to be enchanted by the golden-roofed Dalada Maligawa, where the Sacred Tooth Relic of the Lord Buddha is enshrined. To top it all off, relax on the pristine palm-lined sandy beaches which offer a wonderful retreat for the leisure traveler in you.
Having explored and experienced the delights of this little island on the tour, you will see that it is not without reason that Marco Polo considered this gem of an island to be the finest of its size in the world.
(This tour also has the option of adding two days to your trip so that you can experience life on a houseboat in the Kerala backwaters. Described as the rippling beauty engulfed by majestic palm and coconut trees, the backwaters are quite the experience. Feel elated by the green surroundings, the small villages, and the vibrant people. You will have the opportunity to disembark in villages, hike the Dyaks and ride canoes to explore obscure villages and participate in local traditions)
- Marvel at magnificent temples and discover the fascinating caves at Dambulla
- Explore the ruins of ancient cities Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa
- Head for the rolling hills to escape the heat of the plains in the cool of tea plantations.
- Hike through quaint villages, crystal clear streams and splendorous rainforests
- Stay in paddy or marsh dwellings that are surrounded by the ever changing colors of paddy cultivations or marshes and the clear blue skies
- Recline on palm-lined sandy beaches lapped by turquoise waters
- Trip leader Mahesh Sriram enchants you with his fascinating finer nuances of Sri Lankan history, beliefs, culture; and adds even more value to the trip.
- Experience elation by getting involved with the lush green surroundings, the small villages, and the vibrant people living by the Kerala backwaters
Itinerary at a glance:
Day 1- Colombo
Day 2- Colombo
Day 3- Colombo
Day 4- Sigiriya-
Day 5- Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa
Day 6- Manikdena, Kandy
Day 7- Kandy, Nuwara Eliya
Day 8- Horton Plains Picnic
Day 9- Nuwara Eliya, Yalla
Day 10- Yalla National Park
Day 11- Unawatuna
Day 12- Unawatuna
Day 13- Unawatuna, Colombo- Departure (Optional add-ons)
Day 13- Colombo, Trivandrum
Day 14- Kerala Backwaters
Day 15- Kerala Backwaters
Day 16- Departure
Activity Particulars: TBA