A 14 night program to discover and understand the three key religions of India-Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism.
Tour Cost: On Request
Single Supplement: On Request
This 14 night program comprises an ideal blend of academic lectures and eld visits with a hands-on approach highlighting the three key religions in India- Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam. The central role played by each religion in the daily life and thought process of its adherents will be studied; and along with it the relations between these religions and other religions found in this most spiritual of countries.
It is not necessary that one needs to be a follower of Islam, Hinduism or Buddhism to be forever changed by the spiritual wealth of Indian culture. Religious scholars and holy men will be your guides through ancient temples and magnificent monuments, where you will learn the history and origins of the major Eastern religions. Y ou will also learn the significance of various spiritual customs and practices, including yoga and meditation. Whether walking the grounds of the Taj Mahal, oating down the Ganges River , or travelling by sleeper train to Himalayan pilgrim sites, you will experience the true essence of India that few visitors are fortunate enough to behold.
When the Beatles turned a generation on to Eastern philosophy , Western youth responded and began searching for the serenity they believed India offered. Four decades later , India remains a focal point for pilgrims seeking spiritual harmony . You will trace the footsteps of Krishna, Buddha and the Mughal emperors on this journey into the heart of India’s spiritual heritage. Hindu holy men, Buddhist monks and Islamic scholars will be your guides into the Eastern mind and soul.
This program kicks off in New Delhi and examines the rise of Islam in India for the rst few days. This is followed by a pursuit of Hinduism roots at temples, Ganger river ghats and places of pilgrimage. Buddhism is the next link in the chain of India’ s religious heritage and for the same, you will get to explore Bodh Gaya and learn more about the branches and variants of Buddhism. There will also be time for learning more about other faiths like Sikhism and Jainism. The trip nally concludes with a visit to the Himalayan pilgrim gateway sites of Haridwar and Rishikesh where you will enjoy stunning views of the Himalayan range and also get to visit the former ashram of the Beatles.
- Visit the Taj Mahal at sunrise, enhanced by an in-depth offsite experience through presentations and Sufi musical concerts.
- Learn about Hindu and Jain religious art by interpreting the sculptures of Khajuraho – a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Take a sunrise boat ride on the Ganges River at V aranasi, and watch thousands of Hindu devotees taking their ritual bath in the holy river.
- Visit two of Buddhism’s four sacred sites: Bodh Gaya, where the Buddha attained enlightenment and Sarnath, where he preached his rst sermon.
- Enjoy audiences with recognized Hindu, Buddhist and Muslim masters and meet with pilgrims to gain insights into the essence of pilgrimage in India.
- Observe public rituals and meditation sites at Rishikesh including the Beatles Ashram and indulge in inter-religious debates and discussion.
- Religious scholars and holy men as your guides throughout the expedition
Itinerary at a Glance
Day 1- Arrival in Delhi
Day 2- Delhi/Agra (Program Introduction + Sufi Islam)
Day 3- Agra (Taj Mahal, Mughal Craft and Sufi Music)
Day 4-Agra/Jhansi/Khajuraho (Pranami Religion, Village Visits + Khajuraho)
Day 5- Khajuraho (Vishwanath T emples and the Jain Religion)
Day 6- V aranasi (Hinduism and the Ganges River)
Day 7- Varanasi/Sarnath/V aranasi (Ganges Sunrise Cruise + Sarnath + Classical performance of Kathak)
Day 8- Bodh Gaya (Site of Buddha’s enlightenment)
Day 9- Bodh Gaya (Schools of Buddhism)
Day 10- Patna (Nalanda University Ruins + Sikhism
Day 11- New Delhi/Overnight on train (Sikh T emple + Flight to New Delhi + T rain to Haridwar)
Day 12- Rishikesh (Himalayan foothills)
Day 13- Rishikesh (Life in Himalayan Villages + Discussions with Hindu holy men)
Day 14-Rishikesh/New Delhi (Inter-religion Relations + T ravel to New Delhi)
Day 15-New Delhi (Islam and Indo-Islamic architecture + Departures)